The Importance Of Keywords For Your Website
When it comes to marketing a website, the best solution for you is Search Engine Optimization (SEO). And when searching for it, you may find that keywords are an essential part of any SEO strategy. Definitely, they are. The right keywords in your website content make it possible for people to find you while searching the web.
However, they’re a lot more to the right keyword strategy than just identifying what people are searching for. If you’re a newbie to SEO, then understanding keywords and the right approach to choosing them can be pretty overwhelming. So, here we will provide you with all the info about keywords to get started.
What Are Keywords?
Keywords are terms people enter into a search engine when they’re looking to find something online. There’s a common misinterpretation that a keyword has to be just a single word. But that isn’t true; it can be a combination of possible search terms or phrases — for example, if we are looking for a new restaurant to try out, we might search for “Best restaurants in Singapore”, “Restaurants near me”, or “Restaurant recommendations”.
Got it? Alright. Now, if you own a restaurant, your need might be to find out what all you need to do to get your restaurant’s website to the top of the Search Engine Results Page (SERP) when people type those in, and this is where the keyword strategy that we mentioned before comes into play.
Why Do You Need A Keyword Strategy?
Just think about the last time you wanted to make a new purchase. What have you done? Went online to search about the product and the reviews and recommendations for that? Well, that’s what almost all consumers do before making purchases. So, when your website ranks really high in search engine results, you can reach out to maximum people who are ready to buy your products.
And when it comes to SERPS, it’s imperative to try to rank your website as high as possible, because people click mostly on the first few results they see while searching. As per the reports from Sistrix, the result at position #1 in Google Search has an average Click-Through Rate (CTR) of almost 28.5%, while the result at #2 has a CTR of just 15.7%, the result at #3 only 11%, and so on.
See the infographics above, and you will find that when you get to position #10 on Google, only 2.5% of people are found to click through, which is ten times lesser than the result at #1. So, an excellent SEO strategy is very, very important for you to move up in these rankings. A significant part of that strategy is picking the right keywords needed for your website.
Steps To Choose Keywords For A Website
When it comes to choosing appropriate keywords for your web page, here are a few plans to follow:
- Review the Pages on Your Website: Review all the pages of your website and select the most important pages them. It can be your home page, contact page, product listing page, blog page, etc. This will help you to put the most relevant keywords on the most crucial pages on your website.
- Choose a Keyword Research Tool: An appropriate keyword research tool can provide you with data which can help you to choose relevant keywords for your website. One of the popular tools is Google keyword planner.
- Research Your Keywords: Brainstorm and come out with some of the most appropriate keywords and perform an analysis using the selected keyword tool. Conduct the searches by yourself and examine the search results to get an idea of the performance of your chosen keywords.
- Look at the Metrics: Interpret the data or the metrics provided by your keyword tool. Analyze how a keyword is functioning in the current scenario. This will give you the right direction to follow.
- Choose Your Keywords: This is the last step in choosing the keywords, and by now, you have almost got an idea of whether a keyword is good to use or not. As an experienced digital marketing company, we’ll recommend you to go for keywords that have high search volumes, lower SEO difficulties as well as competitions.
How To Optimize Your Website For Keywords?
Before we dive into this section, we would like to remind you that it’s not a healthy practise to stuff keywords wherever you like, and a website’s copy and blog posts aren’t the only places to put your keywords.
Now let’s move on to the details.
- Best Practices for Keyword Density: Required keywords should be placed throughout your content, but repeatedly shoving keywords into the content is never a good practice.
Yes, a few years before, it was a norm; however, experts say that it is now an outdated SEO strategy which may turn your readers off. And when preparing content, make sure to use one focus keyword (it’s better to use a highly-specific long-tail keyword as it is easier to rank on than a single word) and a few complementary keywords as much as possible, as long as the content sounds good.
- Best Practices for Image Optimization: Optimizing your images is just another way for you to drive traffic. This means nothing but adding keywords into the filename, ALT text, and image title.
For better ranking, always make sure to use a descriptive ALT text or image title that explains what the picture is about.
- Title Tags and Meta Descriptions: The title tag and the meta description is what gets displayed when one searches for something online. Keywords play an important role here too and can usually be edited in your website’s CMS.Keep your title under 60 characters because Google displays only the first 50-60 characters of the title tag. Also, ensure to place your keywords sensibly in the title tags as well as meta descriptions.
And The Bottom Line..
With the right keywords and perfect SEO strategies, you can quickly meet your potential customers. Put yourself in the place of the audience while picking the keywords. Think of what will you, as a customer, write into the search engine while looking for something over the Internet. And of course, it must be something meaningful.
That’s where the key to the perfect keywords lie. ?
So, using all the tips mentioned above, get started with your keyword research today and boost your position in the search results. If you meet with any obstacles on the way, don’t forget to get in touch with us. We are a renowned digital marketing agency in India and Singapore, with over a decade of experience in helping clients with different SEO strategies.